Walt Disney World, Florida
The Genie system debuted in the Fall of 2021 at Disney World in Florida. Genie replaces Disney’s previous Fast Pass system and since it’s arrival guests have had many questions! How does it work? How much does it cost and oh so important how do you use it? Let’s dive right in!
There are actually three separate parts to the Genie system. Genie which is a complimentary service provided to all guests at Disney parks, Genie + which is a paid add on service and Lightening Lane which is a separate paid add on.
Let’s start with the complimentary Genie! Genie is built right into both the Disney World and Disney Land My Disney Experience apps. Genie includes personalized itinerary builders set to maximize your time in the parks. You answer a few simple questions such as what characters you’re interested in seeing, what kind of a day you’d like to have-relaxing or adventurous, food you’d like to eat and ride choices. Once you’ve made your preferences Genie will check the Disney data and give you suggestions for your day. You can accept or decline experiences. Services include-
- Get Itinerary Updates from Morning to Night: Disney Genie will continue to update your itinerary throughout your day, so you can be more spontaneous and go with the flow.
- Find Your Favorites at a Glance: Create your very own personal tip board to instantly see your favorites. It will display current AND forecasted future wait times, helping you predict when you might experience quicker entry to attractions.
Enjoy More Flexibility and Fun: Disney Genie brings existing planning features together in one place. Join a virtual queue at certain attractions, make dining and experience reservations, mobile order food at many locations, get help from a virtual assistant and more.
Genie+ is a paid add on service that is now provided to guests at Disney parks. Genie + is available to purchase for $15-$22 per person (plus tax)-per day at Disney World . This is in addition to your already reserved park ticket. Disney Land’s Genie+ is an additional $25 per day(plus tax)-per person. Genie+ in many ways acts as a Fast Pass. You can make your ride selections in the My Disney Experience app (MDE). Genie + can be purchased day to day through the MDE app. When purchasing day by day you may make your purchase starting at 12am the day you intend on using Genie+.
Ride selections are made one at a time. Ride selections can be made the day of starting at 7am in the morning. So these selections will be made by the guests as opposed to with travel agents as previously in the Fast Pass system. Guest staying on and off site who have purchased Genie + can both make selections starting at 7am. Guests select the ride they wish to ride on the app, enter the Lightening Lane area of the ride during your scheduled return time (don’t worry you have an hour!), scan your Magic Band or MDE app and there you go, ride your ride with little to no wait. You can open your MDE app as soon as you’re in line and pick your next selection. More popular rides will obviously have a longer wait time. Most rides have the Genie+ option with the exception of 2 rides at each park-more on that later. You’ll also be able to take unique Disney themed pictures when purchasing Genie+ in your MDE app and you’ll be able to hear stories through unique audio experiences throughout the parks.
Genie + Rides-
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant
- Haunted Mansion
- “it’s a small world”
- Jungle Cruise
- Mad Tea Party
- Magic Carpets of Aladdin
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic
- Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor
- Peter Pan’s Flight
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Space Mountain
- Splash Mountain
- Goofy’s Barnstormer
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Tomorrowland Speedway
- Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid
- Disney & Pixar Short Film Festival
- Frozen Ever After
- Journey into Imagination with Figment
- Living with the Land
- Mission Space
- Soarin’ Around the World
- Spaceship Earth
- Test Track
- The Seas with Nemo & Friends
- Turtle Talk with Crush
- Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure
- Frozen Ever After
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Beauty and the Beast: Live on Stage
- Disney Jr. Play & Dance
- Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
- Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railroad
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
- MuppetVision 3D
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
- Toy Story Mania
- A Celebration of Festival of the Lion King
- It’s Tough to Be a Bug
- Kali River Rapids
- Kilimanjaro Safaris
- Na’vi River Journey
- The Animation Experience at Conservation Station
- Feathered Friends in Flight
Individual Lightening Lanes
Disney also has 2 rides in each park that are part of the Individual Lightening Lane add on. These are highly in demand rides. Pricing for this option varies by date and time. Prices start at $7 and go up to $17 based on time of day, crowds, etc. Guests staying on property at Disney World are able to book first at 7am and then off site guests can start purchasing lightening lanes when the park opens. Each guest may book 2 lightening lane passes on 2 separate rides so, no you can’t ride Rise of the Resistance twice in one day. You will also have flexibility in choosing what time you reserve your pass and will also have an hour to return and ride.
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Guardian’s of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
- Avatar Flight of Passage
- Expedition Everest
I hope this helps you understand the new Genie system a little bit better. I highly recommend adding Genie + to your vacation. It made things so much less stressful and we were able to spend time doing all the things we love and not standing in lines. In my opinion it’s such a great option.
Need help planning your magical trip? You can find me on Facebook at Callie at Wanderkeep Travel or you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and as always my services are complimentary when you book through ME!